Monday, September 15, 2008

What a day

(ok this post is kind of random and sporadic....at least my writing is sorry....its been long day)


I am really glad this day is over. I had quite a busy day today. I believe I accomplished being a good little homemaker today:) This week past week Safeway had their London Broil on sale and so I bought a ton so that I could bottle it. So last night I decided that today would be my canning day(I am not done but I at least got started). So, this morning I thought I would wake up and get started on it. Well, I had to go and get the pressure canner out of the storage shed. When I got back Karlee decided she was hungry and so I fed her and sat her in her bouncer to play, turned on Caillou for Britt so I could get the meat cut up. Then I figured out that I didn't have enough jars, I stuck Karlee in her crib and turned on her mobile. I took Britt with me to the shed, so he wouldn't climb in his sisters crib while I was gone and do who knows what. I get may jars and clean them out. Then Karlee starts fussing in her crib. I get her out and try to rock her to sleep. During this time Britt is asking for lunch(its only 8:30). I tell him I don't have any bread, so he can't eat a sandwich right now. He starts crying and saying "I just want lunch mom". I feel bad so decide that after I get the meat in the jars and get the pressure cooker going I would make some bread. I finally get Karlee to sleep and Britt satisfied with a some carrots. I finish cutting up the meat and stuffing the jars. Well, I couldn't find enough new lids to put on the jars. So, I grab Britt and we run back out to the shed to get more lids. By, this time I am already to be done. I finally have everything ready and Karlee wakes up. I try to let her play in crib but she doesn't want to and acts hungry. So I stop and feed her and get her satisified and finally get to turn the stove on to start the pressure cooker. About that time, my mom and dad show up with my neice, Braeli who I babysit on Mondays. So, I stop and visit with them for a little bit and get the kids all situated and decide that I might as well start the bread.
(as crazy as it was, I still managed to take a few pictures:)
The yeast rising
My Bosch.....don't mind it, it is a little old. Its a hand me down, but makes great bread!!!!

Pan of Rolls.....while rising.

I get out my bosch and all the flour and other ingredients that I need and get the water on the stove to get warm and start. Then Braeli decides that she wants to be held and so I get her and try to get the bread going. But she is acting hungry. So I stop, since I have to let the yeast rise anyways and make a bottle for her. Feed her and get her to sleep. Come back and the yeast is risen and ready to go, finish making the bread and Karlee starts screaming in her bouncer to be picked up. Hold her while I finish the rest of the bread. Let the bread sit to rise. I then freak out because during this time I haven't paid an ounce of attention to the stove or the pressure on the canner...oops. I look and it is at 15lbs and it is only supposed to be at 12. So, I turn the stove down. Decide that I need to do laundry. So I start a load. Britt tells me he wants pizza now not a sandwich. So I say, whatever and throw a frozen pizza in the oven for lunch. My mom and dad came back over to see if I was surviving. Braeli decides to wake up. Mom gets her for me. Karlee starts to act hungry.....again, I swear I just fed her. I feed her and rock her to sleep. Oops, the pizza. Get the pizza out and sit Britt down to eat it. Ooops the bread. It had risen really good:) I was glad my mom was here so she watched Braeli while I made the rolls and put the loaves of bread in their pans. Leave them to rise. Check the pressure, has risen back to 15 lbs., but 75 minutes almost up, so I turn it down. Man, is this day flying by or what. I look at the clock and it is almost one. Britt decides he wants to go outside and help Papa in the field. He has to have his chaps and vest on first. I help get him dressed and take him out to Papa. Come back and relax for a few minutes, till Karlee wakes up. The canner is done and ready for the jars to come out. So, take the jars out and start hearing POP, POP!!!
All the cans of beef.
Oh what a good sound and feeling. Hearing that makes all this craziness worth it. Rolls are ready to go in oven. Get them going. Papa and Britt come back inside and Papa says he needs Grandma's help. So, I am back on my own. Time for Britt's nap. He fights it and won't lay down. Grouchy mom gets really mad and makes him lay down for his nap. Once he settles down he is out like a light. Whew, one kid down. Braeli wants to be held and so I pick her up, then Karlee starts fussing and I get her. Try to keep both of them happy and hold them at the same time.....lets just say that its not easy. What time is it??? I am looking at the clock and realize that it is almost 2. That is the time Jaci comes home. Awesome. Jaci calls and says she is on her way. Relax, then realize the bread is still in the oven. Jump up and get the rolls out and put the loaves in. Decide I need a break, so I sit and play with the girls until Jaci and Bryce get to my house. I guess we need to eat dinner. So I start cutting up chicken strips and when the bread is done get the chicken in the oven. Braden came home. Yeah!!! Hand him Karlee and take a little break. I then realize I need to go to Pima to pay my utitlites and so I feed Karlee and get her to sleep, so I can leave. Leave the kids with Braden and Bryce while Jaci and I run to Pima. Nice Break. We managed to go to Tastee to get some ICE CREAM!!! Well deserved after today. After that I relaxed a little and helped mom finish dinner and then just had a kick back evening while the guys roped us girls just had a good time visiting.
Now, that I am writing all of this down it doesn't sound quite as bad as it felt. But, all in all I did get alot accomplished. I guess what I am trying to say is I bottled 17 jars of beef, made 3 loafs of bread and a pan of rolls, chicken strips and managed to keep 3 kids alive:) What a day. I am sooo ready for bead.

12 comments:

Summers Family said...

Wow! You really are Wonder Woman! I guess I never would have pictured you being a cute little house wife that cans meat and bakes bread! I need to take some lessons from you I guess! I hope today runs a little smoother for you!

Amy Allred said...

Umm, Homemade bread? Canned meat? You make moms like me look bad! I cannot believe that you got all that done in one day. I barely survive watching all the kids I do, I couldn't get all that other stuff done too. Way to go!

Sara said...

You are crazy! I don't think I've ever made homemade bread since I got married, and I know I've never canned a single thing. (possibly because the thought of eating the canned stuff doesn't agree with me...). I was so excited that I got my dishes mostly done this morning finally. Good job!

csrussell said...

WAY TO GO Katie!! you are awesome. I wish I had that kind of energy to get all that done. you are amazing. Manage to get all that done in ONE day and be taking care of 3 kids can i just say wonder woman!!

Standage Klan said...

Isn't it great being a Mom?? It's funny but these are the times that you'll remember the most! Glad to hear that all of the kids survived. Just think this weekend you get a BREAK!! Can't wait! Your bread and beef looked great!

dpapwatson said...

Holy cow KT...you wore me out just reading this story! Haha. But I can't wait to move home so you can teach me some of your magic... And I can't belive all you got done by 1 o'clock!
Miss you!

lofgreenlegacy said...

O my gosh, I dread those kind of days. And there seems to be more of those days than do-nothing days. You go girl. Your doing great!

The Meehl Family said...

I'm impressed!!! Now I wanna know the secrets...will you share recipes and instructions?

dpapwatson said...

Haha...LOVE your family sticker! Too cute. Come up and go shopping and eat lunch with me!
xoxo-PJ

Jennifer said...

Haha. I love it. Me and my mom had one of those days yesterday. We bottled like 45 jars of tomatoes. But once it was all done, your right it felt good. But I have to hand it to you, Having 3 and doing it all by your self is pretty awesome.

Jennifer said...

O ya and my mom has that same Bosch mixer. It's old but it still works good..

Katlyn Papa said...

Superwoman! That really did make me tired just reading it. It's hearing about days like that that make me a little nervous about another baby. I'm going to have to get used to the hold me now, and feed me now attitude again! You are awesome! Canning meat and making bread all in one day!

Music


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Search & Win